Thursday, May 6, 2010

Religious people

Oswald Chambers is best known for his book, My Utmost for His Highest. Oswald died in 1917, at the age of 43, in Egypt while serving as a YMCA chaplain to Australian troops during World War I.
Here’s a quote of his that made me think, “Of the many haphazard incidents that occur, one today is very characteristic. Two Tommies lounged up to the Items Hut counter and began chatting in their fine way and landed almost at once on to religion. One said that he could not stand religious people, and I said, ‘Niether can I,” explaining that, to me, spiritual reality was everything.” - June, 1917

It made me think that not much has changed. You ask the person on the street what they think of religious people and they will tell you they can’t stand them. You ask them what they think of Jesus and it is positive. Hmm…Can’t stand religious people, like Jesus…

Maybe the problem in the world is religious people who are not very Jesus like?

No comments:

Post a Comment