Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Statue of Liberty

Statue of Liberty's crown will reopen July 4

I last visited NYC in 2003 after the 9/11 attacks. My whole focus during that visit was the World Trace Center site. But, before that, my favorite landmark in NYC was the Stautue of Liberty. I remember years ago climbing to the crown with my father, uncle and cousins. What a thrill!

Well, the Statue of Liberty’s crown was closed after the 9/11 attacks, and now, on July 4th of this eyar, it will be open to the public again. This decision reversed the policy of the Bush administration.

Under President George W. Bush, the Interior Department, which includes the National Park Service, had insisted that visitors could not be permitted because the crown, reachable only by a very narrow, 12-story spiral staircase with a low guardrail, which did not meet modern fire, building and safety codes (seemed OK to me).

So, if you have never had a chance to go and you have a chance, go, go , go...and enjoy one of our best landmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment