Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Book Review, Satisfied by Jeff Manion

Satisfied by Jeff Manion In Satisfied, Jeff Manion address an issue prevalent in Western Society and one that plagues Christians, especially in North America, who either through growing salaries or growing credit card debt have made the accumulation of stuff the focus of their lives. Manion talks about the reality of the old saying, “I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go,” and it’s destructive results. He starts with this quote, "We live in a consumer-driven, debt-ridden, advertisement saturated culture, and it will require nothing short of total transformation to adopt the heart and brain of Jesus." Manion spends the first part of the book talking about the concept of contentment and how we must learn to admire without having to acquire. To Manion, contentment is "the discipline of being fully alive to God and to others." Yes, it is easy to get caught up in the desire for more, but "if our goal is more, then whatever we have is not enough. He says, “It is like running a race where a finish line doesn't exist." It is easy to fall into this trap, where I fail to enjoy what I have because I obsess over what I lack and others have. This is a book on giving and finances, yet Manion doesn't focus on money-saving tips, choosing instead on helping us change our focus from ourselves and our money and things to enjoying God and serving others. I enjoyed the book, and its easy to read style.

No comments:

Post a Comment