Friday, August 20, 2010

Do David and Solomon have anything to say to us today?

Over the years, I have come to understand that reading the Bible is a critical component of my daily walk with God. I have made it a practice for a long while now and here is what I have discovered: Bible books or chapters or verses that I read before and did not understand, make more and more sense the more I read them. I might not get it the first time or the second time, but at some point the light comes on. I know that many tend to give up when they don’t understand what they are reading, but I would encourage you that if this is you, keep reading.
Lately, I have been reading through some of the Old Testament again. The Old Testament tends to be difficult for many to read. Most people I talk to prefer the Gospels or other parts of the New Testament. I understand! But, the Old Testament has taught me much in the last few years., especially David and Solomon. I like how Oswald Chambers once put it regarding some of his favorite Old Testament books. He said, “The Psalms teach you how to pray; Job teaches you how to suffer; the Song of Solomon teaches you how to love; Proverbs teaches you how to live; and Ecclesiastes teaches you how to enjoy.”

So, I invite you to check them out. If you have not read them or have not read them for a while, read them with fresh eyes and see what God might say to you.

1 comment:

  1. Ron, I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, but I just finished blogs on both David & Solomon (as their reigns affected the building of the temple). It's a little narrower view than you're looking at, more focused on politics and economics.

    ReplyDelete